Called the Eastern Koyasan, Chomei-ji Temple was a famous Buddhist holy place during the Edo period (1603–1868). It was founded in 1613 by Keisan Ajari. The Golden Hall, or Main Hall, was built and the temple enlarged by Keisan Ajari’s brother Masujima Shigetoshi. Burned down time and time again, the Main Hall was rebuilt in 1904 and repaired in 1971.
Attractions and Events
Though in the city, Chomei-ji Temple has a seasonally varied atmosphere isolated from urban bustle. Memorial services for the great priest Kobo Daishi, held yearly on April 21, are a fine opportunity for general visitors to observe the proceedings.