HOSEN-JI
PC_HOSENJI_07

Origin

In the first half of the 11th century, on his way home from war, the general Minamoto no Yoshiie (1039?–1106) called at a certain place (the modern Asagaya district of Tokyo), built a temple there and installed in it a figure of the Wisdom King Fudomyoo, which he had kept as protection on the battlefield. This was the origin of Hosen-ji Temple. In the first half of the 15th century, Shoei Hoin moved the temple to its present location. The three-level pagoda was built in 1636. Throughout the Edo period (1603–1868), generations of Tokugawa shoguns warmly venerated this temple, which also became a famous place to rest during their hawking.

Attractions and Events

The nearest station is Nakano-sakaue Station, the second stop out of Shinjuku on the Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line. On February 3, a priestly procession and memorial services are held at Hosen-ji Temple to mark the Setsubun ritual for the traditional end of winter. In the solemn procession, 50 people dressed as armed priests walk through the streets. After the memorial services, guests may participate in the throwing of roasted soy beans in the temple grounds as a prayer for long life. The Somei Yoshino cherry trees that bloom in the temple compound from late March through early April are very popular.

Access

Open gate time

Everyday:9:00-17:00